How to define a structure of categories and items
In Pimics there is a couple of types of categories. From the lowest (nearest to items) to higher (more generic).
- Item Group or sometimes called Product
- Product Group
- Catalog Group
Our recommendation is to define the structure the way that an Item is assigned to an Item Group, the Item Group to a Product Group, the Product Group to a Chapter, the Chapter to a Catalog Group and higher levels are created just from Catalog Groups.
If you create a structure this way, it will give you a couple of advantages like Inheritance, but it is possible to skip one of these groups or use catalog group to extend deeper the structure.
Default or standard structure
It is possible to have the same item or category in more categories. But just one of these is the primary and it is used for Inheritance. This structure is defined in Parent entity fields, see more details in Inheritance.
There is a couple of ways how to define the structure.
- Using ´drag and drop´ tree (Allocation Tree)
- Define in Linking group on detail pages (cards)
- Specify a parent using field Parent entity
- Use actions Assign to entity on list
To define the structure using the Allocation tree, you need to have created at least one of the tree categories, Product Group, Chapter or Catalog Group. When you open the Allocation tree, you will see the highest created category (Product Group, Chapter or Catalog Group). At this point you can start creating the structure by using Insert New Peer and Insert New Child on the Ribbon Tab.
This use case describes how to create the basic structure of catalog data. It is possible to use this structure and if it is necessary then to adapt it in publications. You can link entities here either using Insert new Peer (Child), or by ´drag and drop´.
- Choose the Search icon, enter Allocation Tree and then choose the related link.
- Start creating the structure by ´drag and drop´ or with:
- Insert New Peer - insert category or item at the same level
- Insert New Child - insert category or item at a lower level
You can also create a new category or an item directly from the Allocation Tree.
- Choose Insert New Peer or Insert New Child on the Ribbon Tab.
- In the list of existing categories or items, choose the New button on the Ribbon Tab.
- Create the new Item or category. See more Create a new Item or Create a new Item Group.
- Confirm the created item or category.
In the Allocation tree it is also possible to create the structure by the ´drag and drop´ function. By using this function, it is possible to change position of item or category in the tree. You can move item from one item group to another and also change Standard Item Group. And also if you add unassigned Item as a new child to the Item Group it will appear in the Standard Item Group field on Item card.
Another way how to define the structure is Linking group on detail cards of categories. On detail card of Item Group in Linking group you can define all items, which should be part of this Item Group. If the item doesn’t have defined Standard Item Group, this new Item Group will be automatically set as Standard Item Group (see more Inheritance). You can define the same also for Item Groups in Product Group, Product Groups in Chapter and Chapters in Catalog Group.
- Create at least one item (see more Create a new Item).
- Choose the Search icon, enter Item Group and then choose the related link.
- Open the existing item group card or choose a New button on the Ribbon Tab and create a new one.
- In the Linking group choose items, which should be assigned to this item group or create a new item.
You can use this way if you are creating a new item and at the same time you want to assign it to an existing structure (see more Create a new Item).
This way of creating structure is similar to the previous one, but you need to define the structure on the card of the lower level in the field Standard parent entity (Standard item group, Standard product group…). On the Item card in the Pimics – General group you can define the Standard Item Group by choosing from the existing or by creating a new item group using a New button. It’s possible to create structure for all categories by using the same way. The Item group card contains the Standard Product Group field, the Product group card contains the Standard Chapter field and so on.
Assign to entity
By using function Assign to entity, you can assign more items or categories to the structure. On the list of items you can mark items and then by using function Assign to Item Group you can assign them to this Item group. You will see the result on the Item group card in Linking group and also on the Item card in the Pimics – General group in the Standard Item Group field (if this field was empty). You can use this function also for Item Groups, Product Groups or Chapters.
- Choose the Search icon, enter Items and then choose the related link.
- Mark items, which you want to assign to the structure.
- Click on the Structure Ribbon Tab and choose Assign to Item Group.
- The list of available Item Groups is opened and then choose the Item Group or create a new one by using a New button.
- Confirm the selected Item Group by OK button.
Creating structure by using Assign to entity function is suitable for bulk assignment. You can also use a filter to make it easier to find items before marking them.